Tuesday 15 January 2013

let me introduce myself...


I am a fourth year student at the University of Western Ontario studying Visual Arts. While my current studies involve fine arts, I have switched programs multiple times, spending a year in the International Relations program, a year in Political Science, and two years in my current program. Once I graduate, I hope to further my education by studying Interior Design. 

My purpose for enrolling in VAH 3388G is to enhance my knowledge on the history of architecture and urbanism. I know little about the topics and therefore look forward to the course. My only background knowledge on architecture comes from various art history courses that examine the general architecture of buildings in reference to specific time periods, focusing more on pieces of art from these eras. 

The purpose of my blog with regards to this course is to examine and analyze examples of architecture and urbanism. I hope to focus on analyzing  the interior architecture of the built form as it is most appealing to me. With the goal of continuing my education in the specific path of interior design, interior architecture seems most relevant to my interest. 

The picture I included is one of the National Gallery of Canada. This building holds great importance to the path I have chosen to take in university. Growing up in Ottawa, I spent much of my highschool career at this gallery, educating myself on many different forms and genres of art. 

Unknown, "National Gallery of Canada" c.2012. http://www.agoracosmopolitan.com/news/entertainment/2012/01/21/2729.html. (accessed January 15 2013).
The massive glass building is stunning and has always been an interesting contrast in architecture to the many parliament buildings that surround it. Sitting in the heart of downtown Ottawa, near the Rideau Canal, the juxtaposition between this modern looking building and the old stone parliament buildings of the 1800s is quite beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment